My Waterloo > A Flahute Enduro
Nelson – 1/2 day ride
A MicroAdventure – a dirty weekender, an overnighter, another opportunity to use your kit instead of letting it get dusty
This ride is aimed at introducing people to the “type2 fun” of self-supported multi-day navigation that are Brevets.
It’s a no-frills “you are on your own” self-supported type affair.
There are two official rides – Day One and/or Day Two, but remember you can do as much as you want.
We kick off at 8am.
We don’t have minimum numbers, and we don’t cancel if it it’s raining and/or cold, so enter early!
You must register. Click on this link http://register.trackme.bike
Everyone must register but you can share one tracker between up to three team members, however you must ride together.
The Team Captain does a full registration and the other team members need to follow the team registration details carefully.
SPOTs (or InReachs) and tracking are compulsory – for your safety – and for friends, family and the flahute to stalk you!
There is a special deal through TrackMe for these rides if you need to hire a tracker, or you can bring your own.
An electronic map in a number of formats, cue sheets and a ride guide will be emailed out to you on receipt of your registration, no greater than 30 days prior to the event.
This will help the planners relax and if you register early, to get great rates on accommodation.
You will need to prepare everything else – your legs, your bike, your kit, food, maps, backup, transport, you name it.
It is highly recommended that you have a physical map as a backup. Your device will run out of batteries at some point.
Registration closes the Tuesday evening before the ride.
If you withdraw after the Wednesday or don’t turn up on the day, there will be no refunds. There is some room for movement at our discretion.
Stolen largely from the Kiwi Brevet – www.kiwibrevet.blogspot.co.nz.
The main thing is to complete the course under your own steam, without a support crew or ANY outside assistance (other than what is commercially available to every participant).
Text-ins (via the SPOT/inReach) are to be made from designated locations along the route until you either finish or abandon the brevet.
1. Do it all yourself, under your own steam.
2. Riders must carry all their own gear.
3. You must carry a SPOT (or InReach) and agree to cover the cost of rescue in the event they need to be evacuated.
4. Riders must finish by 9pm on the last day.
5. When on public roads, follow the NZ Road Code.
6. Riders must observe all rules laid down by land managers along the route.
Paved – 19%
Unpaved – 81%
Paved – 19%
Unpaved – 81%
Ok so this is an outside category star ♦♦♦♦ (difficulty out of three) weekend brevet ride.
You will need to have a permit to ride many of the trails on this ride. Ngāti Koata and Tasman Pine are massive supporters of the club and mountain biking, the majority of the trails are on their land, and they go out of their way to help us. Part of that relationship is respecting that they have a job to do, and they need to operate in a safe environment. Permits are included with a full NMTBC membership, or two week temporary permits can be purchased for $15 from any local bike shop. Without a permit you are trespassing and can be prosecuted (which would be bad for you, and for all mountain bikers in Nelson). Please – do the right thing and only ride these trails if you have a valid Tasman Pine Forests Ltd permit.
- moderate navigation skills required (some Flahute aka “tricky” loops in there)
- moderate resupply options
- magical terrain and views
- nice mix of gravel, seal and a lots of singletrack
- it will be cold and/or wet
- weather and conditions can change very quickly, especially rivers
- rivers can rise very rapidly, do NOT attempt to cross any river that is/or forecast to be swift, high or in flood, wait or re-route
- consider lighting options, you may run out of daylight
- we recommend you don’t bring your brevet/gravel bike
- parts of the course may be closed to logging. Please follow all signs on the day. It’s an adventure!
Feel free to post up any questions that you may have.